Fish gaining a great rep in the world of health and fitness is Salmon
Salmon is primarily known for its heart-healthy properties
Include the fatty fish in your daily diet and see the wonderful effects
seafoods) as part of their staple diet. The state and cities built on the banks of rivers too make the most of the extensive range of fishes available. Fishes and their numerous types and preparations make our cuisine even richer and varied. One such fish that has been gaining a great rep in the world of health and fitness is Salmon. Belonging to the family of fatty fish, with Herrings, Mackarels and Sardines,
Salmon is primarily known for its heart-healthy properties and its role in aiding weight loss. But salmon is so much more than that. Here are 9 incredible benefits of salmon, that would compel you to make this fatty fish a mainstay in your diet.
1. Lowers blood Pressure According to the book 'Healing Foods' by DK Publishing, Salmon is "uniquely rich in omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenic acid (EPA) and decosahexaenoic acid. In combination with its abundant supply of selenium, these omega 3 fatty acids help lower blood pressure, "unhealthy" cholesterol levels in the blood and inflammation reducing the risk of Heart disease. According to Dr. Simran Saini, Nutritionist at Fortis Hospital, "Salmon with its heart-healing properties is extremely good for the
3. Weight loss-friendly Salmon is touted to be the one of the best weight-loss foods for its immense proportion of
lean proteins, says Dr. Rupali Dutta. The fats are distributed through its flesh rather than being concentrated in their liver. Salmon fish has
less saturated fat than most red meat, and oodles of protein which makes it one of your best companions for healthy weight loss.
Salmon is touted to be the one of the best weight-loss foods
4. Bank of vitamins and minerals According to the book 'Healing Foods', the fatty fish is loaded with vitamins A, D, E and K which can benefit bone joints, eyes, feed the brain, repair muscle and regulate metabolic balance.
5. Improves memory, good brain food Having a hard time concentrating on something? Or remembering important dates and commitments? Have salmon. According to Dr. Dutta, salmon makes for an
excellent brain food. Rich in omega- 3 fatty acids, the fatty fish helps sharpen your brain and improves your memory retention. It is also known to reduce risk of dementia and loss of mental functions.
The fatty fish helps sharpen your brain and improves your memory retention
6. Antiinflammatory Salmon's anti-inflammatory properties make it one of the most preferred foods in the health circuit. It is low on pro-inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids which is already abundant in modern diet.
7. Facilitates healthy skin Eating salmon as part of your regular diet may also give you a radiant skin. According to Dr. Dutta, the essential fatty acids present in salmon encourages your skin to hold water, making it smooth, supple and youthful.
Eating salmon as part of your regular diet may also give you a radiant skin.
8. Keeps you warm Salmon could be the best food to load up on winters as it keeps the body warm, says Dr. Saini. Have them grilled, include them in
Grilled salmon works the best if you are looking to make the most of its health benefits. However, there are several other preparations you can experiment with to enjoy this fresh ingredient. Include the fatty fish in your daily diet and see the wonderful effects yourself.